Fall is the perfect time to bake with the freshest apples you will find all year! Some day soon, after you have returned from apple-picking at your nearest apple orchard, try out this recipe. This cake will freeze quite nicely if you don’t use the entire cake after baking. Just plastic wrap it and freeze!
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. all natural applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. flaxseed meal (found easily at Trader Joe’s or Costco…I think even Walmart and Target sell this in the baking sections now)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 c. finely chopped unpeeled apples
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat sugars, buttermilk, applesauce, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 20 to 30 seconds or until blended. Add all remaining ingredients except apples and walnuts; beat on low speed about 1 minute or until blended. Stir in apples and walnuts. Spread batter in pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack 1 hour.
Do you have your own twist on the recipe or a “cool” way to serve this apple cake? Leave me a comment so I can try it out!