Are you looking for a kid-friendly healthy snack idea for July 4? Well, then you have come to the right place because I have a little example to show you of what I did with my little ones! Honestly, what I did was very simple, but sometimes it takes someone else to point it out before we realize the ease with which we can actually do something healthy. Here is the patriotic snack that my kiddos and I made:
What you need:
-mini snack crackers (or regular size will work…I used the Trader Joe’s mini snack crackers)
-light whipped cream cheese
-kid-safe knife (I use and LOVE the IKEA brand of tableware for the kids. The knives are safe and excellent for little hands that are just learning to cut and spread!)
What to do:
1. You will need to wash the strawberries and blueberries first. Then, cut the tops with stems off of the strawberries and toss them.
2. Next, slice some of the strawberries width-wise (so that they make nice circular shapes when sliced) and some length-wise (so that the slices are longer and narrower).
3. Then take the snack crackers and spread a bit of cream cheese on each one.
4. Top each cracker with one circular strawberry slice and one blueberry.
5. Evenly spread some cream cheese on to each celery stick.
6. Top the celery stick with the long strawberry slices and two to three blueberries.
What the kids can help with:
-washing of the fruit
-taking crackers out of the box and counting them
-spreading the cream cheese on the crackers and celery sticks (with a kid-safe knife or spatula)
-placing the strawberry slices and blueberries on top of the crackers and celery
Come back and let me know if you and your little ones did this! Also, this would be a great snack/appetizer to serve at a Fourth of July BBQ! That is what we will be doing! Happy Fourth of July!